10 POLARIZING FACTS ABOUT MATERNAL MENTAL HEALTH
Who is speaking for us and to us?
1) Women in their childbearing years account for the largest group with depression in the U.S.
2) The American Academy of Pediatrics has noted that Maternal Depression is the most under-diagnosed obstetric complication in America.
3) There are more new cases of mothers suffering from maternal depression each year than women diagnosed with breast cancer.
4) More than 50% of moms with maternal mental health disorders are never diagnosed and therefore never receive proper treatment.
5) Women who have a maternal mental health disorder with one child have a 50% chance of experiencing it again in their next pregnancy.
6) Suicide accounts for 20% of postpartum deaths and is the second most common cause of mortality in postpartum women.
7) Postpartum depression is the most common complication of childbirth.
8) Untreated anxiety and depression during pregnancy is a leading cause of pre-term/low birth weight deliveries.
9) Untreated anxiety and depression postpartum can lead to emotional and social problems and developmental delays in children.
10) African American Women suffer at rates 35% higher than the general population.
Despite all this, the major brands that market to moms STILL, in 2019 when the world is supposedly so open to alternative experiences and lifestyles, aren’t addressing this uglier, scarier, PERVASIVE side of motherhood.